I am rejoicing that grilling season is upon us! From grilled meats, to vegetables, and even fruit, the grill is our staple method of cooking in the warmer months. I love that there is basically no clean up, which makes it perfect for a weeknight meal.
Twice already this Spring, I have grilled up these Greek Yogurt Chicken Kabobs. The hunks of chicken become so tender after being marinated in a mix of plain Greek yogurt, vinegar, and olive oil. Since the chicken is cut into small chunks before skewing, these kabobs cook up so quickly! Even the kids will eat these!
- Grill or grill pan
- Medium size bowl for marinating chicken
- Knife – Love a Santoku Knife for just about everything!
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Plastic wrap
- 1/2 c. plain Greek yogurt
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 3-4 chicken breasts, about 1-1.5 lbs, cut into 1” pieces
- 2 bell peppers, any combo of green, red, orange, or yellow, cut into pieces
- 1 sweet onion, cut into pieces
- Bamboo skewers
In a medium size bowl, whisk together the ingredients of the marinade. Add the chicken and stir until it is well coated. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to soak in the goodness for at least 4 hours up to overnight.
Before you wish to start cooking, allow the skewers to soak in a plate of water for about 10 minutes. Once completely saturated, start skewing the kabobs by alternating between chicken and vegetables. As you go, gently shake off any excess marinade from the chicken prior to skewing. I like to start and end each skewer with a chicken chunk since I find that it sticks better to the skewer and you lose less pieces in the grill. 🙂
Grill skewers on a hot grill for about 5-8 minutes per side. If using a grill pan, spray with cooking spray, and cook on med/high heat accordingly. Grill until chicken is cooked through.
I like to serve my kabobs over a bed of lettuce with a dash of minced green onion, a heavy sprinkle of feta, along with a scoop of tzatziki and hummus, a squirt of lemon juice, and drizzle of EVOO. My guys, though, prefer it with a side of rice or rolled up in a tortilla.
These kabobs are easy to make and so versatile. Though I recommend using bell peppers and sweet onions, you can pretty much skewer on any vegetables that you have on hand….zucchini, carrots, cauliflower, etc.
- 1/2 c plain Greek yogurt
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 t red wine vinegar
- 1 t salt
- 1 t Italian seasoning
- 1/2 t pepper
- 1-1.5 lbs chicken breast - cut into chunks
- 2 bell peppers - cut into pieces
- 1 sweet onion - cut into pieces
- Whisk together the first 6 ingredients. Add chicken to coat and allow to marinade for 4-8 hours.
- Skew chicken and vegetables onto bamboo skewers.
- Grill on medium/high heat for about 5-8 minutes per side.