You’re in luck! This recipe contains absolutely no cooking. No measuring. No baking involved. Just opening containers and layering their contents. I hear a couple of you squealing with delight. You know who you are.
I find that people are often so overwhelmed by recipes. I tend to follow them loosely! 🙂 Like this one for example. A few years ago, a previous neighbor had given out a recipe for ice cream pie. By the time I finished with it though it was nothing like her recipe, other than the caramel + chocolate bar sauce was too tasty and simple to be messed with.
This sundae pie is a crowd pleaser. So much so, that I wish it was easier to transport (without melting, that is) because I feel it’s worthy of all upcoming summer BBQs! My husband, Garey, even requested this for his birthday this year. It was gone all too quickly!
- Microwavable bowl
- Tray or cookie sheet to place below the pie in the freezer
- Half gallon butter pecan ice cream, softened
- Store bought Oreo pie crust
- 12.25 oz Smucker’s Caramel Topping Sauce
- 2 full size Hershey bars
- 2 full size Twix bars (containing 4 bars each for a total of 8 bars), crushed
Before beginning, let the ice cream sit at room temperature for about 20-30 minutes to soften. Once ready, in a microwavable bowl, microwave 2 Hershey bars until melted. Add the full jar of caramel to the melted chocolate bars and stir until it is well combined. Layer half of the ice cream into the Oreo crust. Drizzle a little more than half of the chocolate caramel sauce on top of the ice cream and then sprinkle with half of the twix pieces. Scoop remaining ice cream evenly on top of the candy (yes, it’s a tight squeeze, but you can do it!), then pour on remaining chocolate caramel sauce and twix candy pieces. Place pie in freezer on the cookie sheet to avoid a sticky mess! Let freeze for at least 4 hours, if you can wait that long.
We love this pie. As a candy connoisseur and ice cream aficionado myself, I can think of a thousand different varieties to try. Share the sweetest combo you can think of in the comments below!
- Half gallon butter pecan flavored ice cream, softened
- Store bought Oreo Cookie pie crust
- 12.24 oz Smucker's Caramel Flavored Topping
- 2 full size Hershey bars
- 2 full size Twix bars (containing 4 bars each for a total of 8 bars); crushed
- Melt Hershey bars in the microwave.
- Add caramel sauce to the melted chocolate. Stir to combine.
- Spread half of the ice cream into the pie crust.
- Top ice cream with a little more than half of the chocolate caramel sauce and half of the Twix pieces.
- Spread remaining ice cream on top of the candy.
- Drizzle remaining chocolate caramel sauce over the ice cream and top with the remaining Twix candy.
- Let freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Once you get to the 2nd layer of ice cream, it helps to simply scoop the ice cream evenly on top of the pie.